New World Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Honorian-Toganan Island Negotiations

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Honorian-Toganan Island Negotiations Empty Honorian-Toganan Island Negotiations

Post by Honorias Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:41 pm

The World Alliance as a whole was an organization devoted to peace amongst its many member states. Nowhere was this more true, and more necessary, than in the case of quarrels between members of the World Alliance government itself, whose conduct was expected to provide a good example to those nations responsible for electing them to office in the first place. Through the foresight of past Security Councils and the legislation they had laid down, several avenues of diplomatic contact were available for nations who desired to negotiate outside of their own borders for whatever reason, including most notably the World Alliance Headquarters. Those Headquarters, unfortunately, were no longer entirely reliable—it was irritating, and perhaps uncomfortable, for the Security Council representatives to attend sessions in a city that no longer belonged to any recognized state, though it certainly added to the neutrality of the place regardless—but there were less troublesome locations throughout the world available for such sensitive activities thanks to the World Alliance’s efforts. At least one such location could be found on every continent: the WA Neutral Territories.

When the Crowns of Honorias and the Republic of Togana finally decided that their differing opinions on the Toganan possessions in Olympia required face-to-face negotiation, it was to these Neutral Territories that the two governments looked for a meeting place. Specifically, the Honorian government suggested that negotiations be held at the Olympia Neutral Territory, to demonstrate the nature of the dilemma facing the antagonists: that Togana’s national interests had come into conflict with the interests of the Olympian continent (as defined by the two nations who considered themselves native to that place). To that end, both governments had agreed in advance that the Republic of Chivalry, the other state native to Olympia, deserved a seat at the table and a voice in the proceedings, and an invitation to that government had been sent in advance of the meeting.

As the objector and, thus, the primary cause for the upcoming negotiations, the Honorian government had been very quick to send its representatives to the Olympia Neutral Territory to await their fellow diplomats. Herina Dya-Alema Thermala had been a very minor clanswoman only a few months before, but the sudden shifts among the High Clans, and especially within Clan Thermala, in the wake of High Queen Meridia’s election had ensured that Herina, and a great many other minor names among the High Clans, had risen to replace the powerful figures whose ambitions the High Queen had thwarted and whose loyalties the High Queen could never trust. Despite her inexperience in high-level politics, Herina was the best option within Clan Thermala to send to such an important closed-door meeting, and the High Queen would trust no one but a member of her own clan for this—especially a clanswoman who was personally indebted to her new matriarch for her new lofty position in Honorian politics.

Herina therefore made her way into the chosen conference room accompanied by her interpreters—very minor clanswomen of Clan Thermala—and High Commander Ermand Dul-Remanada, representing the Honorian military and its interest in the security of the Honorian sea lanes. The four of them paused at the threshold to take in the opulent room—clearly influenced by Eurussian standards of diplomatic adequacy—before making their way to their assigned seats. Thanks to the World Alliance international staff, the negotiators’ places had already been set with refreshments, and Herina was glad for the distraction as she took a sip of something that was certainly not water and waited for the Toganans and the Chivalrics to arrive.

OOC:

Last edited by Honorias on Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added Spoiler Note)
Honorias
Honorias

Back to top Go down

Honorian-Toganan Island Negotiations Empty Re: Honorian-Toganan Island Negotiations

Post by Togana Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:36 pm

The Republic of Togana.

The Republic of Togana has agreed to participate in the talks about militarization on the Togana Island claims. I have sent the WASC Ambassador, Alex Kruger as well as our secretary of Defence, Admiral Samsung; to participate in the talks.

I myself will join the talks in a matter of days to participate as well. During these talks we will communicate openly about our future goals and ambitions in the area. As well as provide limited access to plans about military organization and plans in the area.

Our nation hopes to settle any feeling of mistrust and fear to allow every nation to live in peace in the area. Togana has not been involved in a conflict for many years and wishes to continue the peace.

Sincerely:
President Alvin Waltz
Togana
Togana

Back to top Go down

Honorian-Toganan Island Negotiations Empty Re: Honorian-Toganan Island Negotiations

Post by Honorias Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:09 am

“Mr. Ambassador. Mr. Secretary.” Herina Dya-Alema nodded to both of the Toganan representatives as they took their seats. “On behalf of the Crowns of Honorias and the Gaivarvara, and in the name of Her Majesty High Queen Meridia Kaltra-Desere Thermala, I thank you and your government for agreeing to this meeting. I know there are much more pleasant things we would all wish to talk about, but the importance of national security cannot be overstated on either of our parts, and so it is Honorias’s solemn hope that we can come to a mutually-satisfying conclusion on this matter as soon as possible. To be sure, none of us want this hanging over our heads when our governments are asked to cooperate in the Security Council.” She gave another nod toward Ambassador Kruger as she said this.

“We are here, in short, because the Crowns of Honorias and the Gaivarvara dispute your government’s assertion that militarizing the Olympian islands held by the Republic of Togana is necessary to Toganan national security. My government has plenty of reasons to believe this, as I believe the Royal Household has made clear to President Waltz via telegram several times. Nonetheless, as we are here, I will reiterate them.” Dya-Alema glanced down at the notes she had written prior to the negotiations, lying atop the stack of more detailed information from which they had been drawn.

“Firstly, the Republic of Togana is in no position to be dispersing its military power abroad when it is still suffering the immediate after-effects of civil unrest on its own soil. This you cannot deny, gentlemen—because, after all, when the Honorian government sent request after request to Togana for a face-to-face meeting, or even additional in-depth discussions about the matter of these islands, we were told again and again to wait until your government had been settled, organized, and capable of dealing with international business. Your caretaker administration under then-Senator Waltz was somehow incapable of dealing with government business or important international tasks, and we can hardly expect its handling of your people’s anger to be any more impressive. Then, of course, your government voted to award this same less-than-capable individual the presidency of your country. I congratulate him, as the High Queen has done several times, but only in the hopes that he can learn from the mistakes that he has already made. In the meantime, Togana remembers its very recent violence and the government simply continues on its way, blithely assuming that one politician’s career sacrifice will save the rest from the people’s angry scrutiny.”

Dya-Alema frowned deeply as she moved to the second point. “This is especially true as the Toganan government has immediately moved from civil unrest to foreign invasion. President Waltz wrote when he accepted the invitation to this meeting that Togana hadn’t been ‘involved in a conflict for many years,’ and that the nation would want to remain peaceful. I certainly think that your government and mine have two very different ideas on what ‘peace’ means.” The clanswoman couldn’t help the hint of sarcasm that entered her voice at that. “But I will set aside your government’s intentions—for the moment—and simply point out the results. Togana fights a war on its own borders. Whatever people in those lands that were not already upset with your government will soon be exceptionally angry at it. A military that your own government claims needs to be rebuilt is now fighting on your own doorstep against a group of people whose relationship with Togana has been poor enough for long enough that President Waltz was telling us of his dream to conquer them from the moment he received our first telegram. Togana has enemies sitting right next to it. So why in the world would Togana send its troops to Olympia when the fighting is so far confined to your own continent?

“Indeed,” the Honorian negotiator continued, “if your government had any acceptable answer to that question, it would have explained its reasoning to us on any of the half-dozen occasions where we asked, very specifically, why Togana planned to do this thing in the first place. But while your government’s silence on this matter is telling enough, I would like to remind you of something President Waltz wrote to our government in our earliest communications to demonstrate without a shadow of a doubt that your stated concerns of ‘national security’ are hardly worth the time needed to pronounce them. Then-Senator Waltz said very clearly, and with no ambiguity, that the islands now possessed by Togana were obtained from a war with the Kingdom of Scottlands a generation ago… and that, between that time and this, the Toganan government has, to use President Waltz’s word, ‘neglected’ them. For a generation, those islands flew Togana’s flag without a care, and without any serious government oversight, and for a generation, they remained safe and secure regardless. In President Waltz’s own words, then, we can see without a shadow of a doubt that these islands are in no danger, while the homeland in Atlantis is currently at war; yet here, in Olympia, he wants to send his troops.”

Dya-Alema leaned forward. “I think you can see quite easily why the Honorian government has a very hard time believing President Waltz when he claims that he has no expansionist interest in this region. This is especially true given that, again in his own words, he wrote to our government explaining that he intended to use the islands as a base for Toganan ‘power projection in the region.’ All of this—the unrest in your country, the war that you have launched on your own doorstep, the danger you have brought upon yourself, and the knowledge that a Toganan military presence in Olympia is entirely unnecessary—can be shown to you and to the public in the words of your own government.”

The Honorian narrowed her eyes at the Toganans across the table. “All of which leads to my final point, which is this: Over the course of three weeks, our government expressed multiple times that it would not abide a threat to its shipping lanes and its access to open ocean, and multiple times we received no reply except that, in effect, your government didn’t care. This is not the response of a peace-loving nation, gentlemen. By protesting the necessity of your actions based on claims that your own president has clearly refuted, your government’s insistence on its ‘national security’ has actively threatened our own—and you cannot expect us to accept that threat without reciprocating it, at a time, I remind you, when you have your own war to fight already.

“So let me be perfectly clear.” Dya-Alema removed from the stack of papers in front of her a perfectly blank sheet, before reaching into her jacket pocket and removing a pen. “You can explain to me, in full and with no evasion, just what you want, or need, those military bases for, and we will decide from there whether or not Honorias will accept the threat to its security with that reasoning in mind. You can, alternatively, promise not to militarize those islands after all, with Honorias’s reciprocal agreement that we will accept and even embrace Togana’s presence in Olympia—and, if necessary, defend it from whatever threat caused your government’s worry in the first place. Or we can allow this matter to escalate into the most outrageous and childish political contest… which, I’m sure, the World Alliance as a whole will certainly appreciate, after electing both of our nations to the Security Council.” The pen hovered above the paper. “Whatever you have to say,” Dya-Alema prompted, “I am listening.”
Honorias
Honorias

Back to top Go down

Post by Togana Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:38 pm

Ambassador Kruger leans forward in his chair and states, "is it not in your nations right to have security in all parts of your nation. Or do you just care about the major population center. We care as much as we possibly can about every corner of our lands."

"Yes in the past we have neglected our military presence in the Islands. The current force on the islands is one Fast Attack Craft and about 2,000 in an Army barracks. This force is to small to be able to defend the islands and surrounding waters."

Admiral Samsung reaches into his folder and pulls out a group of papers and photos. "see here. This region south of the islands are the second largest shipping lanes in the world. Unfortunately due to the nations in the regions collapsing there are many small groups in the region with weapons. We have recorded 5 incidents were armed attackers have taken control of Toganan Flagged vessels in the region, all in the past 2 months. If you look at the map I provided these two regions highlighted are a hot bed for pirate type activity."
Honorian-Toganan Island Negotiations 3db7cfe3-8b58-498f-8644-74c7a852bf50_zpsdkpfz36r
Admiral Samsung continued on. "While I can see you thinking our nation is spreading our forces out to thin. I can assure you this is not the case. Our nation in the past decade has almost doubled our tax base. With this we have been allowed to spend much more money on social projects and military expansion.But as stated before our overseas territories were neglected a bit."

Admiral Samsung takes his seat again, while Ambassador Kruger stands and continues the conversation. "While I can understand your concerns about shipping lanes, is piracy not a bigger issue. The plan for the region is also to make the region into a large transit zone and resupply station for forces in the region. Our current naval station had the capability to support our largest forces in the past but have fallen into a state of disrepair. We will repair and expand out naval station. Rebuild our Air stations and upgrade all of our Army barracks and upgrade our training facilities in the area. We are willing in good faith to provide a complete plan for forces in the region."
Togana
Togana

Back to top Go down

Post by Honorias Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:21 pm

“How curious,” Dya-Alema replied drily, “that we in Honorias have yet to suffer from piratical behavior, despite the fact that the two shipping lanes you have pointed out are the major waterways leading into the Olympian Basin—the same waters on which Honorias depends, after all, or else we would not be having this conversation.”

The clanswoman leaned back. “Pirate attacks are, of course, a valid concern, no less than banditry of any other variety in the absence of Eurussia’s all-encompassing fleets and armies. But the notion that they would be operating in shipping lanes on which our nation depends without our knowledge is… very difficult to accept. If pirates in this area are such a threat, surely they are not attacking only Toganan vessels? As you have said, these are the second-largest shipping lanes in the world, utilized by commercial and naval vessels of every international stripe. If there are pirates here, it is a concern that extends well beyond Togana.”

Dya-Alema turned directly to Admiral Samsung. “You say that you desire to create a resupply station for ‘the forces in the region,’” she restated. “Is that to say only the Toganan forces in the region, or for all of them?”
Honorias
Honorias

Back to top Go down

Post by Togana Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:39 pm

"See here," Admiral Samsung sets a folder on the table. "These here are intelligence documents showing current threats in the area."

Current Threats in the Olympia Region
    -Unknown amount of Former nation Weapons.
    -Lords Resistance Army. Currently active south of the above map. Current Force 10-15,000.
    -Failed States in the region.
    -Various smaller groups with high tech weapons
    -Regional Piracy
    -Other nations in the area.

"As you can see there are many threats in the region to our interests and hopefully your own." Samsung continued on. " The issue with our ships being taken over is also not a issue that is mentioned by nations. Our nation ourselves have tried to sweep the issues under the rug so to speak as to not cause issues with tourism in the region."
"But now the politicians in the region are not willing to pay ransoms any longer and are demanding military force to deal with the issues. A belief I happen to hold as well. As i have stated before, Your nation has concerns but the concerns of my people have precedence."

Ambassador Kruger interrupts, "What The Defence Secretary is trying to say is that the needs of our people in the region need to be met. The current force on the Islands is not enough for current issues. We have also been upfront with you about future ambitions as well. We wish to create a large transit zone and training facility on the islands."

"While the stations will be for Toganan Forces we are open and wanting to allow other nations use of many of the facilities. We plan on holding large military exercises in the region and to involve other nations as well."
Togana
Togana

Back to top Go down

Post by Honorias Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:12 pm

“Your assurances are underwhelming,” Dya-Alema said simply. “Do you think that Honorias would require other nations to inform our government of piracy in your target zones when all of our own trading routes make their way through these waters? It is impossible to reach Honorias by sea without coming past these supposedly-threatening areas; our proximity to the extremely-important shipping lanes you have already described means that such piracy would be known to us as soon as it began. Furthermore, this eastern area of concern is just west of the island on which we are now sitting—World Alliance territory. Would piracy not have been known to everyone, let alone close-by nations like Honorias, simply because the World Alliance’s communal territories and institutions were under threat?”

Dya-Alema scowled as she glanced at the notes she had written while Admiral Samsung was speaking. “As far as this list of alternative threats is concerned, it seems that items one, three, and four are synonymous, and item six is outright offensive. There are only two nations in any proximity to these islands that could be considered a threat. One of them is so well regarded by the World Alliance community that its officials represent the entire organization as Delegate. The other sits before you, having told you already that any threat we pose to Toganan security exists only because Togana has seen fit to threaten our trade routes and only now, after three weeks of waiting, offers an excuse that our own experience already belies.”

As the clanswoman spoke, Commander Dul-Remanada looked over Admiral Samsung’s list once again. When Dya-Alema finished, the commander said, “I think it is fair to say that the potential for danger is here. We cannot deny that the absence of Eurussia’s influence and the collapse of various other states concern our government as well as yours. However,” Dul-Remanada continued, “if we assume the truth of the threat, then we must assume that it is truthfully and completely an international concern—which will require, or at least deserve, an international response. But rather than attempt to gather one, Togana instead has declared its intention to build its own massive military presence in such a way as to seriously threaten another nation’s security, refused to answer three weeks’ worth of calls for an explanation, and only now provides an excuse behind closed doors which, if actually true, would have been common knowledge for Honorias and the world. You will agree, I think, that this collection of facts troubles our government much more than your list of apparent threats to these islands.”

Commander Dul-Remanada turned specifically to Ambassador Krugen. “I welcome your intention to invite international forces to join Togana’s military in this effort. I will go further, however, for the sake of Honorias’s security: Your government must not only request the help of a few friends and allies, but establish through the World Alliance or a similarly-well-respected institution a force of arms just as large and just as permanent as the force your government intends to field on these islands, to ensure absolutely that the Republic of Togana does nothing more and nothing less than that which you have proposed today, and to prevent or eliminate any attempt by Togana to do otherwise than that which you have promised.” The commander shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t imagine that this will be too troublesome for your government. With piracy being as serious a threat as you say, especially along the ‘second-largest shipping lanes in the world,’ there should be no shortage of international volunteers willing and able to put an end to the depredations against their shipping… assuming, of course, that your government’s argument is sound.”
Honorias
Honorias

Back to top Go down

Post by Togana Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:55 am

"Do you not prepare for potential issues involving your nations security.' Ambassador Kruger states. "Togana plans for every possible outcome for every potential threat. Undermining the threat of various groups getting high tech weapons is a very real danger to not only Togana but Honorias as well."

Secretary Samsung leans forward in his chair stating, "think of these very possible scenarios. A terrorist group gets ahold of handheld Anti-Air weapons. They could easily shoot down a civilian jet. Or if they get ahold of Anti-Ship missiles and hit any vessel in the region. Not only would both scenarios cost many lives but the damage to Tourism in the region would be majorly affected as well. These threats are real and a very real danger. Now that Eurussia is no longer in control of its vast military stockpile these groups have been able to obtain them."

"The only way to prevent this is to take the threat out before it happens. If we were to launch an operation now we could not support it due to the lack of facilities on the Island. Currently the Island has one Airbase. But it is barely enough to support a single squadron, let alone an entire offense. Yes Togana has 2 carrier to use but they can't stay on station forever. The islands do not the facilities to support our largest ships yet. Our Airbase cant support our larger bomber or strike craft. Yes we can bring in other assets but again we run into the issue of not having any facilities in the region to support them. The simple fact is Togana CANNOT support any type of military activity in the region for more than a few weeks or days without upgraded spaces."

"If we to launch a bombing mission in Gibraltar or Edinburgh we would have to bring in an entire carrier task force or use our F111 Bombers with refueling aircraft to support them. The cost with both would be much higher than using facilities already in the area. Plus these forces cannot operate without intelligence on the ground. AKA a special forces group. A threat assessment in the area shows that the LRA is strong in the city state of Edinburgh. They have the capability to cause a lot of harm to ships or aircraft in the region. Especially if they get ahold of high tech weapons."

" The Other Nations in Region topic. Yes we have a contingency plan for all nations in the region. Yes including yours. If you became hostile today the islands would fall easily before we could bring the Naval force in the region. This is what planning and preparing for any thing is about. We are not saying we are bring in half a million troops and an entire Air Force. We are building the facilities to support the current force as well as well as bring in additional forces to improve defense in the area."

"As the Defense secretary stated," said  we are not building an entire invasion force. We are simply improving the force in the region and provide support. We are offering a list of the current force plan. As well as make concessions on some of the forces."
Togana
Togana

Back to top Go down

Post by Honorias Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:38 pm

“A few minutes ago you were talking about piracy that is happening,” Dya-Alema pointed out. “Now you are talking about potentials. I see we were right to wonder about the foundation of your argument.”

“Moreover,” added Commander Dul-Remanada, “as I just said, we are willing to put up with your military development if the international community is fully and permanently involved—not with a contribution here or there, but as collectively intent on defending these waters as your government’s concerns indicate that they should be. You chose to ignore that point entirely. Could it be that the international community has no reason to be here—and thus, neither do you?”

Dya-Alema leaned forward. “Let me be blunt, gentlemen. As far as we can tell, we have caught you out in a lie and have proven that your stated concerns have no merit. The only threat you can prove to us at the moment is ourselves, which again only exists because you are pointing a dagger at our throats. Our patience is at an end. Either Togana involves the international community at the outset and gains enough international military support to ensure that it will do as it claims it wants to, or it gives up on this supposed pirate hunt that is, by your own evidence, clearly something else entirely. For representatives of a government that beats the drum of ‘national security’ as yours has done so much lately, I think you can appreciate what Honorias is capable of doing if you choose to ignore these options and continue to threaten our national security so callously.”
Honorias
Honorias

Back to top Go down

Post by Togana Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:32 pm

"We don not have to run and ask the international community if we can put military forces in our lands. The fact is that piracy is an issue in many water around the world and that different groups have a very high potential to get ahold of high tech weapons." Ambassador Kruger was saying.

"Togana is open to involving international partners in certain situations. But the end of the day this is Togana territory, we will defend it the way that our government sees fit. I have stated that we are open to giving you the list of what will be placed on the Island and are willing to make concessions on some of them."

Defence Secretary Samsung adds, " The international community has nothing to do with the issue of military forces on the islands. We are not directly threatening you in any way and are simply wishing to install facilities and personnel that would allow us to carry out actions in the region. We have stated we are open to involving the international community in exercises and joint patrol. But this is still Toganan territory and will be treated as such. And if you threaten the security of our nation it will mean war. And I promise you that it will be treated as such."

"Samsung is correct, we will not take kindly to threats to our national security. If you are unwilling to allow any forces in the region than I think these talks are over. And we will continue with plans as is." Ambassador Kruger says. "Now as stated before we are willing to talk about some of the forces." Ambassador Kruger and Secretary Samsung get up for a short recess before talks resume in the afternoon.
Togana
Togana

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next